A carpenter is an individual with great hand dexterity and an eye for detail. The ideal candidate will also have good knowledge of wood properties and other carpentry materials. Working with little supervision while following all health and safety standards is essential.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
- Installs foundations, walls, floors, ceilings, and roofs using materials such as wood, steel, metal, concrete, plastics, and composites of multiple materials.
- Fits and installs window frames, doors, door frames, door hardware, interior and exterior trim using a carpenter’s level, plumb bob, and laser levels.
- Erects scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground levels.
- Erects steel for assembling pre-engineered metal buildings.
- Studies specifications in blueprints, sketches, or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
- Shapes or cuts materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, machines, or power saws.
- Follows established safety rules and regulations and maintaining a safe and clean environment.
- Removes damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
- Inspects ceiling or floor tile, wall coverings, siding, glass, or woodwork to detect broken or damaged structures.
- Moves necessary materials around jobsite as assigned.
- Cleans up worksite debris.
- Capable of receiving and following instructions and communicating with co-workers.
- Able to read and adhere to labels, safety warnings, and guidelines.
- Attentive to detail and always alert to ensure safety.
- Good physical condition and endurance.
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements
- A high school diploma is an asset.
- Four years of experience in commercial or residential carpentry.
- Ability to comprehend schematic diagrams, blueprints, sketches, building plans and other specifications.
- Strong working knowledge of job site safety as well as ability to complete a company specific safety orientation.
- Successful completion of carpenter apprenticeship program preferred but not required.